JPMorgan Chase

Let’s talk about the work you’ve done

What did you work on in the last two years?

A lot.  At last count 20+ projects for 2019 alone.

Can you be more specific?

Not really, work is under NDA but let me talk about some projects.

 

 

Project: Servicing Apps

Participants: 2 UX Designers (Me & an Intern), 6 Agile Cells / Dev Teams, 10 Product Owners plus everyone above them.

Timeframe: 11 Months, Ongoing

Requirements:  We need a product to condense all of our existing applications (currently 20+) into one application.  This is a long term project.

I’ve found that enterprise environments tend to develop apps in a one-off manner without discussion or plan for the future.  This project was a plan to deal with that and consolidate what was a large playing field of poor experiences, difficulty training, and updates to aging software.

To ensure that holistic experience I established a product owner council to participate in system-wide discussion, had bi-weekly meetings with all Agile Cells / Dev Teams to communicate design decisions, watch for duplicate work, and expose all of the work being done, and designed a solution from scratch which would allow growth for the next however many years this program would be in place.  (I think 12 years.)

 

 

Project: The Aide

Participants: 1 UX Designer, 1 Agile Cell / Dev Team, 3 Product Owners

Requirements: An easier way to transfer data between customer and bank

Time Frame: 7 Months

Hit your feet running as they say.  When I started at Chase, I had not even finished my new employee training (to be fair, it’s like 20 hours and full of esoteric knowledge) when I was assigned to my first project.

The Aide was new functionality for customers to import very specific information into our system.  The existing process (which we weren’t replacing) required extensive modification of customer’s data and/or systems to interface with ours.  While doable, it was a significant commitment.  Not to mention requiring people with very particular skills and a customer might not have that at their disposal. 

This process should be easy enough for non-technical employees to complete.

Main goals:

No training required.  (As a side note, 2/3rds of the way through this project I tried to complete the Original Method.  I was unsuccessful.)

Match customer data to bank data.

Accommodate variable data types and formats (ex. Date Formats).

Allow the creation of templates so that settings/progress can be reused.

Allow the customer to choose between pre-populated data, enter custom data, or use local file information for 30+ fields.

Process

No matter the project or timeframe, I try and get in as much research as I can.  I talked with the Subject Matter Experts on a near daily basis for the first couple weeks I worked on this and this was before official sprinting had begun.  This project exposed the core concepts/items/data points that surround our business: how are Merchant Category Codes used, what exactly does cycle mean in this context, or this value doesn’t seem important and we should drop it. 

Design, Set, Go.  I sketched and sketched, I worked through user flows, and I designed interactions.  I presented to the Product Owners and Developers, and incorporated that all into a solution.  This was weeks of work, tweaking flows and adjusting for ever so changing requirements. 

This project lasted between about 5 months and is currently in pilot.

 

 

Project: Boarding / Number

Participants: 1 UX Designer, 2 Agile Cells / Dev Teams, 3 Product Owners

Time Frame: 18 Months, Ongoing.

Requirements:  There was a need for an automated process to help with client management on the back-end side of the business.  It had previously been done with excel spreadsheets, emails, and errors. 

Additional Info:  I joined this project after it had been in development about a year.

I have worked with this team for the majority of my time at Chase and am proud of the relationship we have built. 

This project is a nexus of many other systems and processes, requires extensive knowledge of extremely technical terms and flows, and has more failure scenarios than you could shake a tree at. 

A recent request saw us adding functionality that connected to outside systems and the user would need the output of this process as part of their work.  As this is an existing app that has been in use for quite a while, its system architecture / design system is established.  This is an added constraint when trying to insert functionality / interactions which are brand new to the app.

The architecture didn’t allow us to freely edit content on the page both from an UX perspective and from a development perspective.  I was able to move the bulk of the interaction into a modal but the team was still left with the user needing to modify the output and we couldn’t put this on the page.

In recognizing that this problem would come up in the future, I was able to suggest that we hijack another part of the process to hold this functionality.  Development loved this suggestion and Product saw the benefits that this solution brought to future functionality. 

On top of that, users had previously complained that the app didn’t allow them to customize a field in a way consistent with their workflow.  While we had not been able to fix that specific complaint, this solution opened the door for us to implement a fix, at a significantly reduced development cost. 

Feedback I have received from the users have been positive generally talking about ease of use and intuitiveness.

Finally, I wrote about a recent release on this project: Here.  (In a humorous fashion)